Match Report
Shamrock Rovers 5
Limerick 0
14 Jul 2018 - 14:00Tallaght StadiumLeague

Shamrock Rovers 5-0 Limerick FC

Where the points were concerned this game was over at half time. Rovers took the lead as early as the fourth minute after Thomas Oluwa careered down the left before picking his spot in which to hit the ball into the net. A similar move saw Oluwa double his and Rovers score a further four minutes on.

To be fair to Limerick they didn’t panic and by the 9th minute they won their second corner of the game as opposed to none at that stage for Rovers. They might have got ten it back to 2-1 in the 13th minute after Filip Mostowy worked his way in on goal but struck at keeper O’Rourke who gallantly managed to stick his foot out and block the shot. It was a great opportunity for the Blues.

In the 23rd minute Mostowy, who looked a very decent player in the middle for Limerick, headed just wide. He presented a danger throughout as also did Sean McGrath. Rovers went into a 3-0 lead in the 347h minute after Alex Dunne managed some neat footwork on the back line beating a Blues defender before crossing the ball in very close to the goal. It took a deflection and went into the net. The Rovers’ players felt that Dunne would be credited with the goal but referee Rob Dowling confirmed at half time that he had noted it as an own goal.

Right on the stroke of half time came goal number four after the always creative Conor Behan set Oluwa up for what resulted in a corner from which Jordan Tallon met with his head and sent it in to the far corner. 

Immediately after half time Dunne sent a low drive just wide. Mostowy forced O’Rourke into a save in the 56th minute and four minutes later, just after a Limerick corner had been dealt with, Oluwa was presented with a golden opportunity to get his hat-trick after he was set up by Martins Olakanye but he sent it wide.

Oluwa wasn’t to be denied though and two minutes later he scored his third after James Clarke fought off a challenge in the middle and slipped the ball to the striker who took on keeper Sean Hamm and sent the ball over the line to make it 5-0.

Even though they were well out of it, Limerick continued to play some nice football and could have gotten something in the 68th minute after Ben Coleman provided McGrath with a chance but McGrath, who had his back to goal and turned before shooting, drove high over the bar.

There was still a lot going on in the game towards the end even though the heat was taking a lot out of the players. Olakanye went close with a low shot in the 82nd minute followed by a good chance from Dean McMenemy before McGrath had a shot come off the leg of Andy Spain at the other end. James Furlong went close with a free on the right almost on the stroke of full time. There was a welcome back from the Hoops for the influential midfielder Thomas Hannon who no doubt will be very pleased to have 90 gotten minutes under his belt this afternoon.

Limerick have always turned out good footballing sides at underage level and today this was no exception. The Blues’ players were very sporting and gracious in defeat. 

Shamrock Rovers: 25. Shane O’Rourke, 2. Martins Olakanye, 3. Alex Dunne, 4. Andrew Spain, 6. Conor Behan, 8. Thomas Hannon, 10. James Clarke, 16. Thomas Oluwya, 17. Jordan Tallon, 20. James Furlong, 23. Shane Nealon. Substitutes: 7. Dean McMenemy (for Behan 66 mins), 9. Danila Bogdanov (for Clarke 74 mins), 11. Jack Kelly, 14. Emmanuel Odeniyi (for Oluwa 66 mins), 19. Toby Owens (for Nealon 60 mins).

Report and photos by Robert Goggins